Saturday, February 18, 2012

Valentine's Door Wreath

Most of my projects are attempted in the evening when the house is getting settled down, or when my boy is in bed or hubby is at work. My projects are my therapy. This particular project was inspired by what else but Pinterest. First, let me just say thanks to my BF Lisa for introducing me to Pinterest. I am obsessed and have no problem letting anyone know!!! 


So, I saw this heart by The Idea Room and pinned it. The author made it look so easy I decided to give it a try.













This is my attempt at the Valentine's Door Wreath!

Because I am cheap I wouldn't pay the $6.00 at Hobby Lobby or Michael's for a foam heart. I saw somewhere probably on Pinterest a crafty crafter use a pipe insulator from The Home Depot in the shape of a circle and thought how could I make this work..... I immediately thought of Mommie Dearest (remember that crazy movie about Joan Crawford) "NO MORE WIRE HANGERS!" So, I went to my hubby's closet and took a wire hanger. 

I picked up 1 & 1/2 yards of red felt from Hancock Fabric at 40% off. I wasn't really sure how much I would need, but thought a yard and half ought to do it.

Here's my supply list:


·         Wire Hanger
·         Pliers
·         Foam Pipe Insulator
·         Duck Tape
·         Scissors
·         Red Felt (1 1/2yards)
·         Hot Glue Gun
·         Stick Pins (last minute thought)





With supplies in hand I got started.

First, I straightened out the wire hanger. Side note when I was a teenager (many moons ago) I would say Yes, Mommie Dearest to my mama just to tick her off. (Sorry, love you mama!)

"NO MORE WIRE HANGERS"

I wish I would have taken more photo's of the process.... Anyhoo, I ran the wire hanger thru the foam insulator then bent the ends of the wire together, this created a circle. After this I shaped it into a heart and duck taped the seam.


Then I began cutting up the felt. I cut the felt into 4 inch wide strips and then into 4 inch squares (don't worry if it's not perfect it works out and looks great in the end!)  Once I had a stack I then cut them into circles.

I have no idea how many I cut out, but it was alot! This isn't a project you are going to finish in about an hour. I worked on it for a couple of evening while the house was quiet. 

Moving right along...

Once you have your circles cut out, plug in that hot glue gun and get the stick pins out. I tend to overkill things. Alright, take a circle put a drop of hot glue in the center and then stick a pin thru it.

Push the felt up and it makes a cute little flower sort of thing.


Keep on keeping on... a drop of glue and push up the felt. Once you have a ton of these you'll still need more! LOL.... 

Ok, now you are ready to put the flower things into the foam (side note, this foam tend to melt a little with hot glue.) Take the stick pin and insert it into the end of the hot glue gun.




Now insert this into the foam heart. Hold it for 5-10 seconds until it doesn't wiggle.



This is the quickest part of this project only took about 1/2 an hour 45 minutes to complete. I started on the inside and worked my way to the outside. Move and adjust as needed. This is the only photo I took of this process and I'm not sure why.


Here's the finished product! :-) I took twine I had on hand and made a rosette out of one of the extra circles for the "hanger".  What do you think???


Oh yeah, total cost.
.99 cent foam insulator
$4.42 for the felt
hot glue had on hand
wire hanger had on hand
twine, again had on hand

$5.41

less than the clost of 1 foam heart!!!





1 comment:

  1. Ok Mel, I had to go through a lot to remember my google account stuff. I love love love your wreath. It's beautiful and so are you. Great job:0) Oh and I'm the first member!

    ReplyDelete