Sunday, February 19, 2012

CoFfEe FiLtEr WrEaTh

A little obsessed with door wreaths, Yes I am....  They are relativity easy to make and I can make them cheaply enough.






Supply List:

Supply List
200 coffee filters
Foam pipe insulator
Wire hanger
Pliers
Duck tape
Tea bags
Food coloring
Old pillow case




This project is a little messy wear an apron :)


First thing I did was separate the coffee filters (I made this up as I went along.) Since they roughly come in stacks of 50 I used 100 for the salmon color and 100 for the brown-gold color.   



I got a large pot and filled it about 1/3 the way up with water and added red food coloring.


looks like jello (wiggle wiggle)

Shoved in about 100 of the coffee filters


I pushed them down into the red die and turned up the heat a little. I have no idea if this does nor does not make a difference, but since i was standing in the kitchen at the stove I thought why not.



As I was looking at it and GENTLY pushing them around I thought they were to pink. I got a little inspired and thought tea bags. Yep, you read correctly, tea bags. They really toned down the pink and gave me the salmon color... This was all an accident, a happy one :)



see the difference :)


after about 10 minutes I took them outside and put them on the concrete driveway to dry out.... Now, I'm a little impatient and thought of a better way!



The DRYER! 

I got an old pillow case and put them in it and got a rubber band (cloth one) and tied the pillow case, threw it in the dry and about 20-30 minutes later they were dry!!! I didn't take a picture of this step....

While the salmon dried....

I filled the pot with about 4 inches of water threw in 3 large tea bags and let it come to a boil.  Took the pot off the burner and shoved the other 100 coffee filters and let it sit for about 10 minutes or so.


 
When the salmon dried I threw in the gold coffee filter. While the gold were drying I put the foam circle together.  Take your wire hanger straighten it out and instert it into the insulator. Twist ends of the hanger together and then duck tape the seam.



Back to the filters they will come out of the dryer like this.



Unfold and lay them out, plug in the hot glue gun, and get out the stick pins.



Take 1 gold and 1 salmon putting them together fold it up and twist the bottom... it makes a "flower"




flip it over



this photo is a little blurry (sorry 'bout that), now add a drop of hot glue and then stick a stick pin threw the glue.  then fold up the bottom a little to secure the pin. I alternated the colors so some were salmon on the outside some gold. 

Starting on the outside and working my way around stick the stick pin into the nose of the the hot glue gun and then push it into the foam circle





I worked from the outside in and around, then filled in as needed.



This is what I ended up with




My next project won't be a wreath!!! I've got to come up with something for St. Patrick's Day!


Oh... I almost forgot

wire hanger on hand
tea bags on hand
food coloring on hand
hot glue gun/sticks on hand
stick pins on hand
foam insulator $1.79
coffee filters $1.99

total cost $3.78



No comments:

Post a Comment