Saturday, July 19, 2014

Canning Crushed Tomatoes- Grandma Fread Style

Hello World!

Summer is in full swing and canning season has begun and I HEART canning! We've had a lovely garden this year even with the lack of rain.


I was beginning to wonder if our tomatoes were ever going to ripen and a few short days ago they began to show out! I've already canned Grandma Fread's easy sweet pickles, Canning Granny's jalapeno's, banana peppers, and bread and butter squash. Can I just say the bread and butter squash is ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC, one of my Grandma Fread's new favorites!


I guess you are here for the tomatoes though. :)



I have no idea how many tomatoes I used. I ended up with 8 quarts, 1 pint and 1 1/2 pint.

 

First, I get a large pot, fill with water, and turn to high. I also get my cans ready in the canner so they can come to a boil. I get my lids ready, but don't turn that eye on until I'm about ready to start canning.

Next, I rinse off the tomatoes and then core and score them (scoring is lighting slicing through the skin on the bottom of the tomato making an X.) I think this prep work saves time and I'm all about saving some time.


Once done with the core and score my water is usually boiling or just to that point. CAREFULLY drop 5-7 tomatoes in the water and watch the magic happen. Ok, not on the first one's you drop in 'cause you gotta get the ice bath ready!

Dump a lot of ice in the sink and then fill with water.

Check on your boiling tomatoes. You should start to see the skins loosen and wrinkle.  This can take a minute or 3, just keep an eye on them.



Let's go fishing!

Get you a large slotted spoon and take your tomatoes out and put them in the ice bath.

Once they are in the bath they will still be hot, but easier to handle. From here you simply finish peeling the skin away from the flesh. You may need a knife around the top where the core was, just cut any of the core out that may be left. (this is usually just around the opening)

Once peeled place the tomatoes in a large bowl. Keep working; boiling water bath, ice bath, and bowl. 

Now for my favorite part CRUSHING the tomatoes.


I use my hands and just start crushing them. You can have as small or as large of pieces as you wish. I typically crush mine up small. My large bowl fills up with juices pretty quick so I have another bowl handy just in case I need more bowl, LOL.

Once this is done, I take the pot I used for the boiling water dump and rinse and put the crushed tomatoes in the pot. I had enough this time to have to pull out another smaller pot. I like to add black pepper at this point. (add enough for your taste)




I set the eyes on a med/med-low heat.I want the tomatoes to come to a simmer and simmer for 15 minutes.

When the tomatoes have 5 minutes left I turn on the lids to boil.

Once your lids are ready you can start the canning.

Take your jar and fill it until you have 1/4 inch head room. I add 1/2 tsp canning salt and 1 tsp of lemon juice at this point. Using my handy dandy canning knife I remove any air bubbles. Wipe the rim, get a lid, and make it finger tight.

After the jars are filled I place them back in the canner to boil. 25-30 minutes for quarts, 20 minutes for pints and 15 minutes for 1/2 pints.



Pull them out of the hot water bath, set them on a towel and listen for that sweet PING!



I hope you enjoy canning as much as I do!

Mel :D




No comments:

Post a Comment