Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Christmas Fever! O Come Let Us Adore Him



This sign was inspired by one I saw at Not My Own. You can go there to see the original.  I did this project for less than $3.00!  How is that possible? I had all the materials already on hand:)

My neighbor gave me several1x4's about a year ago and they've been sitting in my storage building.

I cut 4 4' pieces and 2 20" pieces. It took about 5 minutes to cut the wood. After lining up the 4 footers I took the 2 smaller pieces and nailed them to the back.






After this I flipped it over got the hammer out and handed it to my little boy!  He had a blast adding the divots!



After this we brought it inside and got out the paint I had on hand. If you need a great netural paint Valspar's Vanilla Steam from Lowe's is wonderful! One (yes, only one) coat later this is what I've got.



I wasn't looking for a perfect finish, I wanted a more rustic look. This only took about 5 minutes to complete.

If you have a steady hand by all means freehand the lettering. I didn't want to attempt it free hand, and didn't want to pay the money to make stencils. I don't have an overhead projector, or a printer at home that works... So I was at a loss of how to do my letters for about an hour.

This is what I came up with: 

I got out the laptop, open MS Word, grabbed some scratch paper, and a pen.



Very gently trace over the letters. This works GREAT!!!!!!



This took about 30 minutes mostly because I had a hard time choosing the fonts I wanted to use.

One more thing I set the font size to 600 and 700.


Once this was completed I set the words out on the painted board to see exactly where it needed to go.



If i would have taken the easy route I would have used my Exacto knife and cut the letters out, buttttt I did it a little backwards. I cut the letters out on the board making my life a little bit harder.






Once this was completed I open my sample paint purchase and began filling in the lettering.


I tried the foam brush but didn't like it, use the craft brushes they work so much better!



Again, I wasn't going for perfect. I wanted a kinda it's been sitting neglected for a while.

This is the result:





I would love to see your projects!

No comments:

Post a Comment