Sunday, June 8, 2014

My New Love, Annie Sloan Chalk Paint

If you haven't heard of Annie Sloan Chalk Paint, you are not alone.  I, like most of us creative types check out Pinterest (me, several times a day) and pin away. What caught my eye was a painted upholstered chair. I started flowing Nancy's blog, www.artsychicksrule.com and thru her site I heard about the wonderfully, beautiful, easy to use chalk paint. I started searching Google to learn more about how to use the paint and different techniques and ran across this youtube video. I loved Christen's videos, so I stated following her blog, www.Blueeggbrownnest.com.  All that to get to my very first Annie Sloan Chalk Paint project.



Where to buy. Not Lowe's, Home Depot, or any other big name store. Annie Sloan only sells her paint in small shops thru what is called a Stockist.  (Bear with me here) This paint isn't sold just anywhere, you have to find a Stockist and you may not have one in your area. You can go to Annie's webite and find a Stockist near you.

I mentioned a post on Facebook that I was thinking about trying out this chalk paint and got an immediate response from a friend. Beth said she has fallen in love with the paint and I have to try it, and she told me we were lucky enough to have a Stockist in town! Woo hoo for Gallery 313!!

Parking downtown that morning was a breeze (this doesn't always happen). As I walked in the door a sweet lady says "May I help you?", "Yes, please. I'm looking", "Don't tell me, I can tell by looking at you, you want the Annie Sloan Chalk Paint." (Big smile on my face) "Yes, I do. I heard you carry it?" "Come over hear and let me show you what I have." About an hour later I walk out with Provence, Old White, Clear Wax and a wax brush.  During my visit Terri was so helpful. I had tons of questions, and she answered them all. She showed me different pieces in the shop and different techniques to use. I was in heaven! I seriously think Jesus will have tons of paint in heaven so I can paint my heart content.

I was nervous about using this paint, it only comes in quarts and is expensive. I was assured it will go a long way on my project.

My first project was meant to be a large table and 4 chairs, but because I was intimidated I started with as side table that was my Grandma's, and a mirror I picked up 3 years ago at a yardsale for $3.00. It has since been in a closet.

Now that all that that is out of the way!

This is the small table that came from my Grandma's house. Probably made in the 80's early 90's. It has seen years of love and was ready for a makeover.


Then there the "golden" beauty, LOL. The mirror is older 30's or 40's is my best guess.

 
I started with the table. No sanding need. I used a damp cloth to wipe it down and let it dry. Opened my cans to decide which one to use.

I chose Provence. It is difficult to tell in the photos, but it a perfect turquoise. Please know I do not use the term lightly. I have searched HIGH and LOW and all along Annie Sloan had it!


This is after the 1st and second coat of paint. It covered pretty well, but it was really going to need a second coat.  This is where searching online for techniques comes in handy. I diluted about 2 tablespoons of the paint with 2 tablespoons of water. OH YES YOU CAN! And I had just a little left over after the 2nd coat.




After the 2nd coat of paint dried, I applied the clear wax. Once this was completed I started distressing the piece.






With the mirror I used 2 different colors. Once again I took a damp cloth and wiped down the piece. I painted the first color Provence. Then distressed the piece, applied clear wax, applied Old White, distressed the piece and then one more coat of clear wax. It took about 2 hours to finish the mirror.


This photo is after the coat of Provence and then sanded.




 After Old White is applied
Before and after


Before and After
 

I've placed both pieces in the bathroom which just happened to be the perfect place for them. When I started this project I had no idea where I was going to put either piece, LOL.



Now I need some white towels to go on the lower shelf and some handmade soaps in a bowl on the top shelf! I'm so happy with how it turned out. I can't wait to get started on my table, then the dressers, a bed, a chest, another mirror, a bookcase.... You get my meaning!

I would love to hear your thoughts and ideas!

Happy Pinning and Painting!!!

Mel :D
 

No comments:

Post a Comment